Gingerbread Stout Cake
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 6 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 7 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1¼ cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- ¾ cup Cream Stout, flat at room temperature Confectioner's sugar for garnish
Gas: Indirect/Medium Heat
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a 9 x 13 bake pan, sift together all of the dry ingredients.
Using a hand held mixer set at high, beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until light in texture. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Beat the molasses (the batter may curdle at this point – don't worry). Lower the mixer speed to medium. Beat in the flour mixture, one third at a time. Beat in the Cream Stout.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then unfold onto a rack. Eat warm or cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar before serving.
Note: This recipe can also be ""baked"" in a grill using the Indirect Cooking, pour batter equally into 2, 10"" cast-iron skillets.