Derby Day Burgers
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons strong Dijon mustard
- 3 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons capers, drained Kosher or Sea Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 12 1-inch thick country bread slices Olive oil for brushing
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled Vidalia Onion, thinly sliced Romaine lettuce leaves
Grilling Method: Direct/Medium-High Heat
- Combine sirloin, anchovy paste, lemon zest, mustard, Worcestershire, capers, in a mixing bowl. Using your hands, quickly blend together until evenly incorporated. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Shape mixture into 6 patties. Brush with oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Place burgers on the cooking grate, turning once halfway through cooking time, about 4 minutes per side.
- While the burgers are cooking, brush the bread lightly with olive oil and grill until golden, 1½ to 2 minutes on each side. Rub bread with garlic clove on one side only. Discard garlic. When the burgers are done, (cooked until no longer pink) remove from grill.
- To assemble the burgers: Top one piece of bread with an onion slice, a romaine leaf and a burger and then top with another piece of bread. Serve at once with traditional condiments if desired.