Blistered Mexican Corn-on-a-Stick
4 tablespoons unsalted butter 6 ears corn, husked Olive oil Sea salt ½ cup mayonnaise ½ cup Queso Fresco, crumbled 1-½ teaspoons smoked Spanish paprika
Grilling Method: Direct/Medium Heat
Melt butter and set side. Brush the ears of corn lightly all over with olive oil. Insert a thick wooden stick in the bottom ( so it looks like a popsicle) or tie the husk back to form a handle.
Place corn on cooking grate over Direct Medium heat. Grill, turning occasionally, until the kernels are lightly browned and blistered all over, 8 to 10 minutes.
As soon as the corn comes off the grill, follow these 4 steps:
- Brush with melted butter
- Brush with mayonnaise
- Roll in grated Queso Fresco (fresh Farmer's cheese)
- Sprinkle with powder or smoked paprika
Mexican Corn on a Stick—3 variations
Grill fresh corn on the cob following the recipe above until it is blistered in places. As soon as it comes off the grill, flavor it in one of the following ways:
- Slathered with mayonnaise and sprinkled with powdered chile de árbol (http://www.deliciousorchardsnj.com/hotpeppers.html) but beware these chiles are very hot, and a sprinkling of salt
- Slathered with Mexican crema (like creme fraiche or sour cream) and liberally sprinkled with grated cheese queso Cotija if you can get it, or parmesan if you can't)
- Rubbed liberally with the cut side of half a lime dipped in powdered chile, such as ancho (fruitier) or chipolte (much hotter), then salted.