Beer-Braised Cowboy Beans
- 12 slices lean bacon, coarsely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green bell peppers, chopped
- 6 cups cooked pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 12-ounce beer, such as Tecate
- 2 cups water plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground ancho chile
- 2 teaspoons McCormick chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt or more to taste
- 10 scallions, trimmed and sliced
Set a heavy-bottomed 5 quart Dutch oven over medium heat, add the bacon to the pan and fry until slightly crisp, about 5 minutes. Add green peppers and garlic; mix well. Let cook for 2-3 minutes or until garlic is soft.
Add the cooked beans, beer and water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and add the coriander, ancho chile, chili powder and salt. Add more water if necessary.
Simmer gently for 40-50 minutes to blend flavors.
Ladle into bowls and serve topped with a generous spoonful of sliced scallions.