Fluffy Sweet Potato Bourbon Pie with Gingered Whipped Cream
- 1 10-inch graham cracker crust, homemade or store-bought 3-4 large sweet potatoes, about 2 pounds (you need a generous 2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted 3 large eggs 3/4 cup heavy cream 2 tablespoons best-quality Bourbon
- 1 generous teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup granulated white sugar ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon fine-ground sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Pinch ground cloves
- Gingered Whipped Cream, for garnish (Recipe Below)
Preheat the oven to 425°F. Wash and dry the sweet potatoes. Pierce them on top with a fork and set on a cookie sheet or baking pan. Roast the potatoes until soft, about 1 hour, or until you can see bits of the sugar bubbling where you pricked the potato.
Cool, peel, and measure using a dry measuring cup. You should have a generous 2 cups of cooked sweet potato.
Place the cooked sweet potato in the bowl of a food processor fitted with the ""s"" blade. Turn the food processor on to puree the sweet potatoes. Add the melted butter while the motor is running to soften the sweet potatoes. Keep the machine running and add eggs. You will notice that the sweet potatoes will start to take on a lighter, almost peachy color. Mix the cream, bourbon and vanilla extract together. Add the liquid as the machine is running. The mixture at this pint will look light and fluffy. Scrape the sides and add the sugars, and spices. Process again to combine and fully incorporate the final ingredients. The sugar and the spices will darken the color a bit but the texture will remain very fluffy.
Spoon the filling into the prepared crust and place on a cookie sheet. Place in the oven and bake for 50-60 minutes or until the filling is set.
To test, shake the pie and the center of the pie should jiggle slightly. If you aren't sure, you can also stick a toothpick or a butter knife in the center, if it comes out clean, the pie is done.
Let cool and then chill thoroughly before serving.
Serve with ginger whipped cream and toasted pecans.
Gingered Whipped Cream: Add 2 tablespoons of sugar and 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger to ½ pint of heavy whipping cream. Whip as usual and serve on top of sweet potato pie, garnished with toasted pecans.